Christ Church, Epsom Common, has a long association with bellringing.
The original church began as a chapel of ease to St Martin’s, Epsom, in 1843. Christ Church became a separate ecclesiastical district in 1874, and the present church was consecrated in 1876. The tower was completed in 1887, beginning the story of bellringing here on Epsom Common.
The peal boards in the ringing chamber provide a fascinating record of that history. They preserve the names of generations of local ringers and mark important occasions in the life of the church and community.
Among the earliest names are ringers such as Thomas Miles, Thomas Tutte, Allan Gower, John Crawford and Alfred E. Bassett. Thomas Miles had already begun ringing at St Martin’s, Epsom, in 1864 and remained closely associated with ringing in the town for many years.
The boards record many memorable occasions, including the first peal by the Christ Church Guild in 1902, a peal for the vicar’s silver wedding in 1906, an Armistice peal in December 1918, a peal rung by four married couples in 1920, and an extraordinary 10,400 changes of Double Norwich in 1926.
Donald Eric “Don” Baptiste CBE was a significant figure in the modern history of Christ Church tower. His name appears on the Respect Board, where he is remembered as a Tower Captain, and he was closely involved in the major bell project of 1992 to replace the old bells and was among the Epsom Common band who rang the new bells for the first time after their dedication on 29 March that year. On that occasion he rang the sixth.
Today, the bells continue to be rung for Sunday services, special occasions and celebrations, maintaining a tradition that has been part of life on Epsom Common for well over a century.
First peal rung by a band of alter servers in 1932
One of the many historic peal boards in the tower.
The first Christ Church, photographed by George Snashall in about 1865
Image courtesy of Bill Saunders, © 2013
Epsom & Ewell History Explorer
Christ Church Tower today.
Outside the Tower
Band of ringers on sunday
Top of the tower for the eclipse
Former tower Captain, Mark